There are many common misconceptions surrounding video interviewing and how exactly it differs to other video calling platforms, so we thought we should clear things up!First let’s start by establishing purpose; video calling was designed as a means of communicating with friends and family through live video recording, whereas video interviewing was specifically designed for the purpose of recruitment. The first and most important difference establishes the format and efficiency of the product when used throughout the hiring process.
- Fewer frozen screens and network interferences and faster processing
- Clear instructions on use for the candidate
- Stress free interview with added security for candidate reassurance
- Personalised platform tailored to candidates
- Low bandwidth needed for recording, and no network needed for viewing
- Recruit from abroad; different time zones are not an issue with pre-recorded video
- Candidates have time to answer without pressure
- Candidates are invited through a personal link via email; no need to sign-up or download any software
Since video conferencing wasn’t built with recruitment in mind, it’s not going to be adapted to the hiring process or have any integrated recruitment-stage software. A huge downside to video conferencing is the inability to assess candidates in the same place; live video chats require recruiters to remember everything about a candidate and make an informed decision based on memorised details or pass those details on to other departments in order to make a mutual decision. Pre-recorded video interviewing, however, allows recruiters to view candidates over and over again, and collaborate with colleagues via profile sharing. There’s no need to remember any details about the candidate, as everything is stored in a centralised location on the platform where recruiters can evaluate and rate applicants in one place, at any time.
- All your candidates’ information is stored in one location
- Share, view and evaluate candidates from the same platform
- You can track a candidate’s application from start to finish
- Every part of the software is tailored to an improved hiring experience
Never let a candidate slip through the net, whilst video conferencing is great for connecting you to loved ones, a video interviewing platform is the better option when connecting you to talented ones! Not only is the whole system adapted for the purpose of recruitment, but it will also improve recruiter/candidate journey. A platform like easyRECrue allows you to maintain consistency in candidate pre-screening by enabling the replication of questions for all candidates, this means applicants to the same position receive fair and consistent evaluation criteria. It is usually the case that recruiters lose quality talent at some point throughout the recruitment process because candidates grow bored and agitated with long waits, numerous interviews and little communication. Video interviewing platforms eliminate this risk as multiple hiring managers are able to view and assess the same candidate profile without putting applicants through a number of repeated interviews, all whilst improving communication transparency.